How Microgaming Software Developers Protect Users from Hacks
by Julia Beyers
Security is hugely important in today's online world. Hackers attempt to break into servers, bank accounts, and databases, using numerous strategies and malware tools. And the world of online gambling is a prime target for cybercriminals. This industry grows exponentially and has a current estimated value of over 51 billion USD – this figure has more than doubled since 2009.
Due to the advent of security issues in the world of gambling, consumers want more guarantees for services and products. What are online casinos and game developers doing to protect their customers and products?
As the industry pioneer, Microgaming applies the soundest security practices and is considered by many experts as the most trusted provider. A blogger from 1highrollercasino.com argues that Microgaming, approved by all controlling authorities, monitors and tackles cyber threats as successfully as no other company. Read on to know what tools are used for building resilience to breaches and attacks.
Regulations which indicate the level of trust
The important aspect of any gambling developer is its association with regulatory bodies. If a company is not regularly audited, how do we know their security practices are up to date? From its very inception in 1994, Microgaming has been cooperating with the top authorities which is a strong indicator of their reliability. The following are some of the regulatory bodies the provider works with:
- eCOGRA. To be certified by this organization means to show exceptional standards. This certification plays a vital role in building the image of a particular casino or provider which is especially important when real money is involved. eCOGRA performs regular checks and audits on Microgaming products, paying special attention to security features and fairness of their payout methods.
- The Gambling Commission. Since 2005, they have been setting guidelines and standards that companies such as Microgaming must adhere to. Their technical requirements are being constantly updated in order to be aligned with the times and law.
- Remote Gambling Association. The RGA deals with online gambling legislation and regulations. This organization has always worked closely with Microgaming. Together, they offer educational programs to developers, casinos, and customers – specialized training in areas of players’ data protection is a part of it.
Microgaming cares about all aspects of responsible gaming. In 2018, the company made a partnership with the Compliance Academy to raise training and development standards. They also actively participate in initiatives dedicated to mental health issues in gambling.
Technologies that ensure security
As we can see, Microgaming is well known for providing a great level of security – its games and platforms uphold the highest standards within the industry. Let’s see what technologies the company uses in order to guarantee the quality of their service and maintain the trust of players.
- SSL Security. This is one of the most commonly used encryption technologies. SSL creates a protected channel to transfer personal information such as bank details.
- Anti-DDoS. Distributed Denial of Service attacks can completely bring down a gambling platform. Microgaming utilizes various anti-DDoS techniques to minimize the chance of this happening.
- AES-Encryption. The Advanced Encryption Standard is another well-known security measure used for sending sensitive information online. AES uses different keys (128-bit, 192-bit, 256-bit) and a block cipher to encrypt information.
- Database Consistency Scanner. Online gambling platforms are linked to huge databases with email addresses, names, contact numbers. Moreover, game developers can store live information about games. Microgaming uses scanners to regularly check their databases for anomalies and signs of integrity failure.
- Data Loss Prevention. Data loss can damage online casinos and their games. Without a consistent data feed, platforms may not be able to provide live gambling odds or accurate prices on slot games. Microgaming employs data loss prevention techniques – this ensures that in case of data loss, their games and platforms can perform functions to recover it.
- Internal Testing. Microgaming regularly audits their own products. They are known to test their games on a monthly basis, checking their integrity and security features. Moreover, the company has a dedicated Fraud and Collusion department – this team monitors Microgaming gameplay activity to check for inconsistencies and any malicious attempts.
All technology that serves as a basis for casino games, should be constantly improved. The Random Number Generator (RNG) that control the process can actually be hacked. It’s essential to upgrade RNG standards – the use of cryptography may be helpful here, and Microgaming adopts it as one of the main security approaches.
It is clear that Microgaming is at the forefront of online gambling security and takes this matter seriously. They use an array of security techniques and cooperate with main regulatory bodies. It is also up to the online casino platforms to implement stringent security practices, but with software developers like Microgaming, players can be sure that they are protected from hacks and data losses.
About the Author
Acquiring a wealth of experience in writing articles on trends and prospects for the development of the game industry in the world I I've found myself as a Freelance Journalist. I am writing now about blockchain and cryptocurrencies trends, sometimes covering importance of bitcoin for various other industries.